Friday, February 18, 2011

I LOOOVVVVEEEE MY JOB

I know I'm way behind in all of my updates on here, but I am excited to write about my role at Arlington Woods Elementary. First off, I'm thankful that my nephew attends there. I had not looked into a position at this school until I came to the school asked if I could volunteer and check-up on my favorite nephew.

Since becoming a staff member in October, I've learned of so many reasons to love my job and what I do. Although I am technically not in "my field," the staff at Arlington Woods has grown to trust me and has found ways to allow me to use my talents to help others. 

This post isn't about what I do specifically at Arlington Woods, but I wanted to talk about my role there and highlight some of the wonderful things the staff members do for the students there. There is a series about Arlington Woods in the Indianapolis Star, and I wanted to share the links to the two articles written so far ...

The first let's readeres know about something called Project Restore - which is a system of learning that challenges students and prepares them for standardized tests AND creates an atmosphere of high expectations in general ... :-)
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110216/NEWS08/102160324/1368/NEWS1003/Tully-Students-rise-challenge-Project-Restore-s-rigorous-tests

The second shows a more in depth picture of how the staff makes it all happen. 1st - they believe in their students and 2nd - they make every minute count.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110213/NEWS08/102130364/1368/NEWS1003/IPS-elementary-school-making-every-minute-count

Working here is truly a pleasure. The system isn't flawless, but it is obvious that the staff cares and is doing what they can to prepare their students not just for the ISTEP but for life beyond IPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment